Always carry a corkscrew and the wine shall provide itself. Basil Bunting

Friday, December 31, 2010

On the Eve of a New Year

It's the last day of 2010. This time last year I was still living in Long Beach, California, happy that it was the last day of 2009. Last year, 2009, was a crappy year for me. I went through a very sad and devastating breakup and it really through me for a loop. I was so glad to be done with that year. My friend, Brandy and I decided to go out for NYE and whoop it up. We both were eager to say, "Smell ya later, 2009." We had a great great time and it seemed like 2010 was off to a great start.

Little did I know that a week later my whole world would turn upside down. Now, if I had my choice I wouldn't have wanted to be laid off, but I was. Was it the best thing that ever happened to me? I don't know. I know that it was a challenge set before me and I chose to take a different path. It was an opportunity for me to change the course of my life. To move across the country away from all that I had known.

I decided to take a year off and travel and reinvent myself. Did I do that? I'm still me but different. 

I did travel. I went to New York City, Paris and London. A dream trip for me. Something I've always always wanted to do. I was honored to be able to take this trip with my baby sister. We have traveling souls. We stayed in out of the ordinary places, a little boutique hotel in NYC called the Jane Hotel. We had studied our Frommer's travel books and made plans to do out of the way things. We got subway passes and went all over NYC. We saw Mary Poppins on Broadway, we ate real New York bagels, pizza, hotdogs. We went to the top of the Empire State Building. It was an amazing time.

 Next stop was Paris, France. It's true what they say, Paris is the most romantic city in the world. It is breathtakingly beautiful. The history seeped through every brick and stone. We walked cobblestone streets throughout the City of Lights. We saw Notre Dame, the Effiel Tower, The Louvre, and countless other living historical places. I was happy to just sit and absorb it all in. We picnicked in the park at the Louvre, drank some wonderful French wine, was entertained by a traveling group of boys singing in French.
Gardens at the Louvre

Our French Picnic





We ate some of the best food, French Onion Soup, just called onion soup there, ha ha. French baguettes, cheese, crepes, omelets. And we ate at just simple places. Nothing really fancy but rustic and so delicious. 


I loved every moment of Paris. It was my favorite part of our trip. The most beautiful place I've been to. It was Paris in the Spring. We had sunshine, wind and wonderful Paris rain. The sights and sounds were just amazing. I still can't believe I had the opportunity to be there. One of the most wonderful moments in my life. 

I hope I get the opportunity to go back there. To spend more time and to get to go to other places in France. If not, well, I can say that one of the dreams in my life came true. What more can you ask for?

St. Paul's Cathedral
Next stop was London. It was nothing that I ever imagined. It was a lot more modern than I thought it would be, but still had a lot of history. We went to St. Paul's Cathedral and I imagined Princess Diana walking down the aisle to her wedding as I walked those same steps. The view up to the ceiling was dizzying. We drank in London pubs, ate bangers and mash and fish and chips. Saw the London Bridge, Big Ben, the Tower of London. Walked through Hyde Park.                                                                                  I do wish we had more time in London. Did not get to explore there as much as I wanted. But again, it was a dream come true. My sister was slightly disappointed, she wanted it to be more like Jolly Old England. Did not like the modernism and touristy feel of London. There is that to it, but there is still old London in there. I was surprised at the diversity of London. We joked about how we barely met any native Londoners. 


What does this have to do with {re}cork'd? Well, it inspired me. I brought home some French wine corks. I brought home a desire to do more traveling, to see the world so that I can put all those influences in my cork works.




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Zimbio
KudoSurf Me!